Hi everyone! I hope you are having a good week so far. I am sharing a recipe with you that I found on food.com . I was trying to find an easy and quick recipe to use some fresh leeks and I found this deliciou Greek recipe. It was delicious and definitely worth a go!
- 2large potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2lbs leeks, white and light green parts, halved, washed and thinly sliced
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1⁄2cup breadcrumbs (from stale bread)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano leaves (or 1 teaspoon dried)
- 1⁄3cup olive oil, for frying (I try to use as little as possible, the Greek way is to use a lot)
- Place the potatoes with enough water to cover by two inches, add a little salt and bring to a boil; then simmer until soft–about ten minutes, depending upon the size of your potato pieces.
- Drain and place in a large bowl.
- Place the leeks in a steamer over two inches of boiling water and cover and steam for about 10 minutes.
- Remove and allow to cool slightly.
- Preheat oven to 200°F.
- Mash the potatoes until smooth and creamy; add the leeks and combine.
- Add in the eggs, bread crumbs, salt and pepper and the oregano and mix well.
- Heat oil in a large heavy skillet over medium high heat.
- Drop in about 2 tablespoons of the mixture for each kefte and flatten slightly with the back of a spoon.
- Fry in batches, about three minutes a side, until keftes are golden.
- Remove to paper towels on racks to drain and then keep warm in the oven.
- Serve warm.
Enjoy! xxxx Natascha