This recipe is so simple but the results are wonderful. Great recipes should be shared and I have to share this one with you. If you make it, your family, friends and guests will be impressed and you won’t have to be in the kitchen for ages. This could be a main meal or an appetizer.
3 thick chicken breasts cut into cubes (You can also use 6 thin chicken fillets. It happened once that I didn’t have thick chicken breasts but the thin ones worked just as well)
Juice of 1 orange (About 3/4 of a cup)
Salt and pepper to taste
A teaspoon of nutmeg
3 tablespoons of olive oil
Ingredients for the sauce
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 cup chicken broth
125 g orange jam or marmalade
About 1/2 cup of sherry (Not the sweet kind)
1. Put the chicken in a bowl. Add the orange juice, olive oil, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Cover and put in the fridge for at least an hour.
2. Meanwhile, prepare the sauce. Heat the olive oil on low medium heat in a small pot. Add the onion and stir occasionally until transluscent.
3. Add the marmalade and chicken broth then bring to a boil for about 2 to 3 minutes.
4. Lower the heat to medium and add the sherry. Let it reduce to a thick sauce. If you find that the heat is too high, lower it slightly and remember it will take a bit longer to reduce. When it is the consistency you want, blitz it into a smooth sauce.
5. Preheat the oven to 220°
6. When your chicken is finished marinating, put it on the skewers. Place the skewers on a baking tray that has been protected with foil. Drizzle remaining marinade on the top.
5. Put them in the oven for 15 minutes, turning them over halfway through cooking time. They should have a nice golden tone. If not, leave them in for an extra 5 minutes or so depending upon your oven.
6. Serve them with drizzled with the sauce.
This is lovely with basmati rice.
Enjoy! Xxxx Natascha