This bread took me by surprise because it has a combination of walnuts and lemon rind which gives it a delicious flavour. It is the kind of bread you can have with something sweet or something savoury like a tapenade. It is great toasted too!
5 grams of dry yeast
20 g unsalted butter
250 g bread flour
Grated rind of half a lemon
25 g sugar
50 g chopped walnuts
Pinch of salt
1/2 cup warm water to add to the yeast
Another 1/2 cup water at room temperature
1. Mix the flour, sugar and the pinch of salt in a large bowl. Set aside.
2. Add the yeast to the half cup of warm water and mix so that it dissolves.
3. Add the yeast mixture to the flour mixture along with the butter and the other 1/2 cup of water. Mix and knead until you have a nice even mixture. It could be a bit sticky but don’t panic. The yeast will do its job. When you have the even mixture, add the rind and walnut. Knead for about 10 minutes on a lightly oiled surface. (I use sunflower oil) You eill see that the texture and consistency will change rapidly. Form a roll shape with the dough.
4. Lightly oil a large bowl, place the roll in the bowl, cover with a tea towel and let rest for 40 minutes.
5. Preheat the oven to 180°
6. Place the roll on a baking tray that has been lined with parchment paper. Using a sharp knife, make a cross shape on the top.
7. Place in the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes. Around the 15th minute or so, cover with foil so the top does not burn.
8. Place on a cooling rack.
Enjoy! Xxxx Natascha
Posted from WordPress for Android